Living with gout
Gout is one of the oldest types of arthritis where crystals build up in the body and cause joints to become very painful. Once treated, gout is not a problem for most people. Gout symptoms are caused by uric acid crystals in the joints. We all have some uric acid in our blood but most of us pass out enough in our urine to keep down the amount in our blood.
When there is too much uric acid in the tissues, it can form crystals. These crystals can form in and around joints, causing inflammation, swelling and severe pain.
Click here to download the Living with Gout booklet for more information on this type of arthritis.
Supported by A. Menarini