Easy to Use
Many consumers are increasingly frustrated by products or packaging that is difficult to use. This is especially true for people living with a chronic condition like arthritis. With our aging population, levels of arthritis are set to increase dramatically in the coming years. This is no longer an issue that businesses can ignore.
Arthritis Ireland has established The Easy to Use Commendation Programme to recognise those products and companies that design/market user friendly products and packaging.
The Easy to Use Commendation is an easy way for people to clearly identify user-friendly products and packaging.
- Businesses are invited to submit their products for review by in independent review panel comprising of people living with arthritis and health professionals, including an occupational therapist, physiotherapist and rheumatology health professional.
- All products that are approved as being easy to use will be awarded the official Arthritis Ireland Easy to Use Commendation.
- 62% of Irish people living with arthritis are of working age.
- 840,000 in Ireland are living with arthritis and this number is growing.
- By 2021, the percentage of our population over the age of 65 will have increased by 59%.*
- Arthritis, hypertension and high cholesterol are the most prevalent diseases for all people aged 50 and over in Ireland.*
- Over-50s enjoy a good deal of disposable income, owning three-quarters of all financial assets and accounting for half of all discretionary spending power in developed countries.**
*The Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE)
**Senior agency International
- Any product or packaging that has user-friendly design may quality for the Arthritis Ireland Easy to Use Commendation.
The categories included are:
- Appliances, clothing, exercise and sporting equipment, beauty, health aids, home and garden, home furnishings, kitchen products, mobility aids, office products, orthopaedic devices and all packaging.
Each product or packaging will be evaluated by our review panel who will assess the item for its ease of use, effectiveness and comfort via the three-step evaluation process.
- The panel will evaluate the product against a number of requirements specific to the product, ie how easy is it to open a medicine bottle versus another? Or, how easy is it to open a carton versus another?
- Panelists will score the product or packaging based on the different ways a person with arthritis may use the product. The product's packaging is included in the assessment so evaluation starts at the point of opening the outer packaging. The evaluation is based on multiple uses.
- Finally our testers will give you their opinion. A report of their findings will be issued to the company including any recommendations for design improvements (if relevant).
To pass, at least 4 out of 6 of our testers must be able to use it with little or no difficulty and no more than 1 tester should have experienced great difficulty.
If products pass the evaluation process, they will qualify to receive an Easy to Use Commendation and enter into a 2 year agreement with an annual fee* that will entitle you to display the Arthritis Ireland Easy to Use Commendation on your product, packaging, website and point of sale materials.*
Products will also be entered into our Easy to Use Catalogue (updated on a yearly basis) and will be listed in the popular aids and appliances section of the Arthritis Ireland website.
The annual fee will be used by Arthritis Ireland to promote Easy to Use products and provide vital information and support services to the 1 in 5 people in Ireland with Arthritis.
* Product fees are €500 per annum for 2 years for an agreed range of options. Fees afford you the right to use the Arthritis Ireland Easy to Use Commendation on all agreed materials, including the Easy to Use catalogue, website and magazine and also cover the costs of the review process.
Arthritis Ireland's Easy to Use Commendation offers your brand a high level of differentiation; 86% of consumers agree that when price and quality are equal they are more likely to choose a product associated with a cause.*
It will enhance your brand equity; 7 in 10 Irish consumers say that a company's commitment to social responsibility is important when buying a product or service.*
The Easy to Use Commendation lends credibility and trust to your product. Demonstrating your organisation's support of a charity has been shown to significantly build trust and loyalty for your business. **
*Business in the Community. **Edelmans' Trust Survey 2009
Additional value of receiving an Easy to Use Commendation:
Arthritis Ireland will widely promote products that participate in the Easy to Use Commendation programme. Products will receive the following additional benefits:
Catalogue: Your product will be featured in Ireland's only Easy to Use catalogue, distributed to people living with arthritis nationwide, in particular rheumatology clinics nationwide. Details of your product, where to purchase it and a visual will be clearly displayed in this brochure.
Website: As Ireland's number one provider of information on arthritis, our website receives over 50,000 visitors per year. Your product will be featured in the very popular aids and appliance section of our site with a link to your website.
Arthritis Life: Your product and purchase information will be listed in an edition of Arthritis Life. This magazine is an Arthritis Ireland publication and has a readership of over 100,000 per edition.
To learn more about how your product can achieve an Easy to Use Commendation for your business contact Nichola Mullen on 01 647 0205 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arthritis Ireland does not endorse products. Products are only offered a commendation to signify that the product has met the requirements of the programmes testing process.